FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 13, 2017
Treasurer Folwell reminds State Health Plan members about new Pharmacy Benefit Manager
RALEIGH – State Treasurer Dale R. Folwell, CPA, Chair of the State Health Plan Board, would like to remind and provide clarification to members regarding the Plan’s new Pharmacy Benefit Manager, CVS Caremark, which began servicing members January 1, 2017. Specifically:
- Plan members are not required to use a CVS Pharmacy; however, members may utilize the CVS Caremark network, which includes more than 68,000 retail pharmacies nationwide.
- Plan members may locate an in-network pharmacy by utilizing the Pharmacy Locator tool available at www.shpnc.org.
- Plan members with a Specialty Medication are required to use the CVS Specialty Pharmacy services; which will deliver the medication to a local CVS pharmacy, a member’s home, or a provider’s office. A list of these medications, and the process for obtaining them, is available on the Plan’s website here:
- Plan members also have the option of receiving medication through CVS Caremark Mail Service Pharmacy. Members interested in this option should visit www.shpnc.org for more information.
- Plan members received new State Health Plan ID cards in December that should be used for medical and pharmacy services. Members should use their new ID card and discard their 2016 State Health Plan ID card, which no longer works.
“I am committed to both realizing savings and improving customer service,” said Treasurer Folwell. “The new CVS Caremark relationship will reduce costs for the State Health Plan and we are confident that they will provide excellent customer service. I want to make sure that members know that they do not have to use a CVS pharmacy to fill their prescriptions. There is a broad network that includes many community and independent pharmacies as well as national chains.”
In August of last year, the State Health Plan began communicating the change of pharmacy benefit managers to members in Open Enrollment materials. Members who needed to take specific action as the result of a coverage change began receiving notification in October.
Plan members with questions regarding their benefits or assistance with locating an in-network pharmacy should contact CVS Caremark Customer Care at 888-321-3124 or visit www.shpnc.org.
The State Health Plan, a division of the Department of State Treasurer, provides health care coverage to more than 700,000 teachers, state employees, retirees, current and former lawmakers, state university and community college personnel, and their dependents.