Law Enforcement Officer Benefits
Separate Insurance Benefits Plan for State and Local LEOs
A law enforcement officer of the State of North Carolina or any of its political subdivisions may be eligible for benefits from the Separate Insurance Benefits Plan regardless of the officer's membership in a North Carolina retirement system.
The Separate Insurance Benefits Plan is administered by the Boards of Trustees that administer the Teachers' and State Employees' and the Local Governmental Retirement Systems. The Boards select the company that provides the disability benefits part of the Plan (see table below).
Disability benefits are currently underwritten by Hartford Life Insurance Company. The Retirement Systems Division administers the death benefits part of the Plan. All benefits are paid at a fixed rate.
You are automatically eligible for benefits from the Plan as long as you meet one of the following requirements:
- You are a full-time law enforcement officer as defined in either Chapter 135 or Chapter 128 of the North Carolina General Statutes.
- You were a full-time law enforcement officer for any amount of time and the Retirement Systems' Medical Board has determined you are disabled due to a duty-connected cause.
- You were a full-time law enforcement officer for 5 years or more and the Medical Board has determined you are disabled due to a non-duty cause.
- You were a full-time law enforcement officer, but you are receiving disability retirement benefits from one of the State's retirement systems or you are receiving benefits from the Disability Income Plan of North Carolina.
- You were a full-time law enforcement officer for 20 years or more.
Separate Insurance Benefits Plan Disability/Hospital Benefits
||Amount of Benefit|
If you are in active service and you experience a disability due to an accident:
The following benefits, which may be aggregated up to a combined maximum of 52 weeks for any one period of disability:
|If you are in active service, retired, or receiving a disability benefit, and you enter the hospital due to a sickness:
||$140 per week of hospitalization for a maximum of 13 weeks for any one period. Eligibility begins on the second day in the hospital.|
|If you are retired or receiving a disability benefit and enter the hospital due to an accident:
- $140 per week for a maximum of 13 weeks if you are under age 65
- $105 per week for a maximum of 13 weeks if you are over age 65
LEO Claims Process for Disability/Hospital Benefits and Death Benefits.