Contact Us ▫ Careers  Twitter Facebook

Skip Navigation LinksNC-401k-and-NC-457-Transfer-Benefit

NC Total Retirement Plans logo. My NC Retirement. TRP waves image. Retired female with diverse students studying pine cone.

NC 401(k) and NC 457 Transfer Benefit
Members of the Teachers' & State Employees' Retirement System (TSERS) and Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System (LGERS) have the option to transfer their NC 401(k) or NC 457 funds to the NC Retirement System to receive an additional monthly benefit.
Members of TSERS with NC 403(b) accounts or other supplemental savings accounts, such as an IRA, who wish to use the transfer benefit must first establish an NC 401(k) or
NC 457 retirement account to move the 403(b)/IRA funds into prior to retirement. This is a necessary step in the process of transferring a NC 403(b) or any other retirement plans into the Retirement System.
Transfers are a one-time, irrevocable election. You may apply to transfer all or a portion of your NC 401(k) or NC 457 funds by submitting a completed Form 319401k for the NC 401(k) or Form 319457 for the NC 457, which can be found in ORBIT.
The North Carolina Retirement Systems and Prudential Retirement, administrator of the NC 401(k) and NC 457 plans, have partnered with the State Employees’ Credit Union to provide you with information on the NC 401(k) and NC 457 Transfer Benefit.
  • SECU employees are ready to advise you on whether this benefit is right for you. It offers this service free of charge, and you do not have to be a Credit Union member. Call SECU at 888-732-8562 to reach an experienced contact center staff person, or visit the NC 401(k)/457 Plan Transfer Benefit website at
  • If you have questions about how to apply for the Transfer Benefit or want to check the status of your application, call the NC Retirement Systems at 877-NCSECURE (877-627-3287).
  • To better understand the relationship between the transferred amount and the monthly benefit, use the estimator found in your personal ORBIT account.
  • For any other questions about the NC 401(k) or NC 457 Plans, or the NC 403(b) Program, visit or call Prudential Retirement at 1-866-NCPLANS (866-627-5267).