Contact Us ▫ Careers  Twitter Facebook

Skip Navigation LinksIncome-Tax-Withholding

NC Total Retirement Plans, Government Benefit Recipients, wave image. Diverse group of retirees smiling, walking on beach.

Income Tax Withholding
Form 290: Choosing Income Tax Withholding Preferences

If you are already receiving a benefit, this information can now be submitted on our secure website called ORBIT.
To change your withholding, complete the following steps:
  1. Login to ORBIT. If you have not used ORBIT before, you will need to register by clicking on the Register button on the same page.  To complete the registration, you need to supply your Social Security number, birth date, and the net pay from your most recent benefit payment.
  2. Once logged in, click on the tab “Maintain Tax Withholding” on the left side of the “Welcome” screen.
  3. Click on the link “Change your current tax withholding for this account?” near the bottom of the page.
  4. Enter the changes you would like to make and click “Save.”
  5. If you are in the process of applying for benefits, you will need to complete a paper copy of Form 290 and submit it to the Retirement System by mail or fax.

Forms Now Available in ORBIT

Visit ORBIT to view all Retirement Division forms (click the Forms link at the top.)  NOTE: Login to ORBIT to access personalized forms.​​